On Friday, August 13, 2021, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), voted to endorse a third dose of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for select groups considered moderately or severely immunocompromised. As a result, the Grand Traverse County Health Department (GTCHD) is now scheduling appointments for third doses of the Pfizer (12 +) and Moderna (18+) COVID-19 vaccine for those that are eligible.
GTCHD encourages all individuals to consult with their primary care provider to ensure a third dose is recommended. Vaccination appointments can be made by visiting this link.
Currently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is recommending that moderately to severely immunocompromised people receive an additional dose. This includes people who have:
HEALTH DEPARTMENT 2600 LaFranier Rd. Traverse City, MI 49686 231-995-6111
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
The third dose is recommended for the above list of vulnerable people at least 28 days after completing the initial two doses. At this time, satisfactory proof of immunocompromised status will be requested.
If you are unable to get an appointment with the GTCHD, please check with local pharmacies and other providers for availability.
Media Contact: Emmy Schumacher, email@example.com, 231-493-8376